Sunday, March 6, 2016

Week: 2/29-3/6


Monday:  Spyronette -> Green Mtn (14) -> West Ridge -> Long Canyon -> Ranger/Gregory 

6.7 miles -> 2,946 ft
Legs felt well rested and weren't sore at all. Linked up the South ridge of the 1st flatironette, spy, and the North Arete of the 1st. Then power hiked up to Green Mtn via the social trail. Once on greenmen it turned into an ice skating rink, god awful. (didn't have spikes so thus influenced my next decision) Decided to try and do some running so I walked down the West ridge to Flagstaff road and ran a bit to Long canyon and wanted to see how the leg would react. Feeling great all the way till I hit the ranger trail and decided to stop running at the top of Gregory Canyon and walk down. I don't think the legs are quite ready to run steep downhill. Ran from the bottom to my car. Legs felt good the entire time, few minor tweaks here and there. Ran the most since my injury :)

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday:  2nd time trial PR: 9:15 min (Freeway) 2.4 miles -> 1,237ft
WOW. it feels great to be doing some easy running. Ran to the base, scrambled and trotted down. Started spitting rain when I got to the base. Mutants didn't even slide once. Stopped at the top to catch my breath, endurance still building up but I will get back to more continuous movement :)

Thursday: Rest

Friday: 2nd/1st/ -> Green Mtn (15) 6.4 miles ->2,822 ft
Legs feeling pretty good. Took it easy to the base of the 2nd, up freeway (want to check out the summit block soon). Hit bakers way, opening moves weren't obvious but found a juggy sequence that made it super smooth. The gully to the north arete was all 4th class. Arete went by smooth, super easy. Then downclimbed and went up the social trail to the summit. wish there was a way I could see my splits, curious how Im doing. Then went down greenmen/ranger. Slipped and cut my knee open on the last bit of ice on the ranger trail. annoying. oh well. Other than that, legs seem to have no tweaks or pains. Feeling great! Stopped the watch on the summits and when i ate it on the ranger trail :(. I can feel my endurance coming back though...

Friday: Reg->RA->5th Flatiron->Fist. Recovery Scramble! 4.6 miles -> 2,566ft
Leg felt tired and heavy this morning after yesterday's "real" run and I figured I would go scramble some rock. Started at NCAR, wanted to minimize the distance to the rock. (not too much closer than Chautauqua). Started up the Regency and tapped on the Royal Arch. These two went by really quick, got these dialed in. Downclimb of the Royal arch was a lot easier. Very key foothold that I use seemed less desperate than last time. Decided to then onsight the 5th flatiron via the south line on the east face. Seemed kinda broken up until the last 2 pitches. Super smooth with no problems, seemed more like 5.3 (also was following chalk marks from this super rad dude I met on top). Last pitch to the summit was amazing. The hand traverse is top notch. Finding the right position for the little hole to exit was a bit perplexing but I made it work. Reverse mantle was a bit challenging but nothing that I couldn't work out. Was feeling super stoked at this point and I just decided to tap on the fist. Hand crack was amazing, and very secure. Downclimb was thin but the right holds are there and I found a good sequence by checking it out before I tried the east face. Starting to feel really confident on the slabs. Gonna take tomorrow off. First good week back.




Week Total: 20.2 miles ->9,507ft ->5hr 36mins


I’m Really happy with this weeks performance. Starting coming back on all fields. My endurance is coming back and so is my speed on the uphills. I'm starting to feel really confident on the rock as well. I onsighted quit a few routes this week. (5th flatiron-East south, the Fist, Bakers Way) I really like the idea of using scrambling to ascend the mountain. Cuts out some bushwhacking by ascending the mountain via something other than the man made trail. Excited for this week! 




 (Standing tall on the summit of Green)



(Looking down the North Arete on the 1st)


(Riding the Wave--Hand traverse pitch on the 5th)


(Down climb off the fist, looks thin but it goes)

No comments:

Post a Comment